[TechAssist] Re: Uploading 10 meg scans to the group archives?

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:36:44 -0400

Phil, does the scanning software have a setting for "greyscale" or "8
bit greyscale" or "256 shades of greyscale" ?  I find using the
greyscale setting makes a better picture of a schematic then "black &
white". B&W won't give you any grey areas in the lines for your eyes to
blend in and make the lines look smooth, whereas 256 shades of greyscale
will leave shades between white and black in the lines, and your eyes
will blend these shades together and make lines look smooth. A good
example is the circle around a transistor symbol on a schematic. With
B&W setting, the circle might look jagged, whereas it will look smoother
using greyscale.

Using greyscale over B&W will make the file size larger though.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4