[TechAssist] Sony KV27TX40 Parts and Tips Help

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Techassist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:37:08 -0400

I have a customer with a Sony KV27TX40 (October 1989) that had a dead set.
When I went to her home, pulled the chassis back, and began to turn it on
the side I heard something falling. It turned out to be cement power
resistors (ref# R605 and ref# R650) had apparently been so hot the cement
was crumbling apart and falling off. I do not have any service literature
for this vintage Sony. Therefore since there was no visible evidence of the
values of these resistors, I could use some help with parts ID and any
suggestions you may have:

These are the parts I have found defective and also intend to replace by
design as they are common failures:

C551 (0.47mfd/50v)
C602 (560mfd/200v) (rounded on the top)
C605 (22mfd/250v)
IC601 (STR3035)
Q551 (2SD1941) (which is shorted)
R602 (1.8 ohm, 10 watt)
R605 (unknown cement power resistor)
R650 (unknown cement power resistor)
RY601
T504 (1-439-372-13)

I am aware of the 2SD1941 service bulletin # 161R2 for replacement of the
2SD1941 with a 2SC4927-01 along with resistor R523 but don't see this model
included in the bulletin so I don't know if it applies or not.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager
Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms