[TechAssist] Re: Semiconductor purchasing question

  • From: Scott Beebe <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wayne Vanaman <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:42:23 -0400

Hello Wayne,
I have not had any defective parts from them in a few years now, but then
again, I generally have good luck with the "TT" parts as well. I have always
been impressed with the quality of the B&D parts. I order all our capacitor
stock from them.

 Thanx,

Scott Beebe
Ohm Electronics Inc.
609 W. Clinton St.
Ithaca NY 14850
Voice: (607) 273-8406
Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wayne> Bill:
Wayne> Identifying the knock-offs aside, buy semis like these from B&D
Enterprises.

Wayne> www.bdent.com

Wayne> LA7838 in quantity of 1, $1.56.

Wayne> You will not get knock offs from B&D, you get Good Stuff.  2SC4834P,
$2.10.

Wayne> I have bragged on B&D on this list several times lately, has anyone here
Wayne> ever received anything bad from B&D?

Wayne> Wayne Vanaman
Wayne> Omega Electronics
Wayne> 6904 W Fairfield Dr
Wayne> Pensacola, Fl.  32506-3310

Wayne> Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wayne> WWW.PensacolaTVRepair.Com

Wayne> 850-456-5995 voice
Wayne> 850-458-6369 fax

Wayne> Premium Technologies wrote:
>> Group, I had a Panasonic 27" in for repair today, with a not uncommon
>> 3" high pic across the screen.  Found three caps behind the vertical
>> heat shield and the vertical IC LA7838 at fault.  Replaced these and
>> still had the problem.  Traced and tested for about a half hour more
>> and replaced the IC again, still same problem.  At this point I'm
>> fuming, going over the print, retesting up the circuit, ESR testing
>> caps that I had done at least twice and looking for any clue as to
>> why the IC looked as though it had failed. Finally I tried a third IC
>> and to my surprise the pic was restored.  I looked at the packaging
>> and found that these three ICs were purchased from Tritronics and
>> they didn't appear to be the cheap TT Chinese knock-offs.  I'm at
>> least intelligent enough to knowingly avoid those.  In fact, I noted
>> that I had paid almost nine bucks a piece for these. So, I went to
>> order some things from Tritronics this evening and searched the
>> LA7838 on their site.  It came-up with several brands all using the
>> LA7838 and all of them a different price, ranging from a couple of
>> bucks to eleven plus dollars a piece.  So what denotes a knock-off
>> from an original Sanyo made component when all you have is the price
>> to go by??  None of the brands listed were Sanyo and most of them
>> showed each of the brand part numbers, Hitachi and Toshiba for
>> example, identifying it as a LA7838 or OEM part.  It's probably how I
>> ordered the last ones - middle of the road price or manufacturer
>> number. This makes a about four times in the last month I've had to
>> replace a component because it was a failure right out of the box.
>> I'll be calling Tritronics tomorrow but this seems like an epidemic
>> that obviously could be cured at the supplier's end.  Besides, I just
>> hate wasting money on such a small margin repair as this one. Anyone
>> else had a similar problems lately with Tritronics parts? Bill
>> William Rayburn, CET Premium Technologies PO Box 442 Long Beach, WA.
>> 98631 360-642-4993

>>  This Email List is accessible to the general public through search
>> engines. Remove: http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm Set Vacation
>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation Lost
>> Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login Problems?".
>> Email Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

Wayne>
Wayne> This Email List is accessible to the general public
Wayne> through search engines. Remove:
Wayne> http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
Wayne> Set Vacation
Wayne> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation