[TechAssist] Semiconductor purchasing question

  • From: "Premium Technologies" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 03:14:59 -0700

Group,
I had a Panasonic 27" in for repair today, with a not uncommon 3" high pic
across the screen.  Found three caps behind the vertical heat shield and the
vertical IC LA7838 at fault.  Replaced these and still had the problem.  Traced
and tested for about a half hour more and replaced the IC again, still same
problem.  At this point I'm fuming, going over the print, retesting up the
circuit, ESR testing caps that I had done at least twice and looking for any
clue as to why the IC looked as though it had failed.
Finally I tried a third IC and to my surprise the pic was restored.  I looked
at the packaging and found that these three ICs were purchased from Tritronics
and they didn't appear to be the cheap TT Chinese knock-offs.  I'm at least
intelligent enough to knowingly avoid those.  In fact, I noted that I had paid
almost nine bucks a piece for these.
So, I went to order some things from Tritronics this evening and searched the
LA7838 on their site.  It came-up with several brands all using the LA7838 and
all of them a different price, ranging from a couple of bucks to eleven plus
dollars a piece.  So what denotes a knock-off from an original Sanyo made
component when all you have is the price to go by??  None of the brands listed
were Sanyo and most of them showed each of the brand part numbers, Hitachi and
Toshiba for example, identifying it as a LA7838 or OEM part.  It's probably how
I ordered the last ones - middle of the road price or manufacturer number.
This makes a about four times in the last month I've had to replace a component
because it was a failure right out of the box.
I'll be calling Tritronics tomorrow but this seems like an epidemic that
obviously could be cured at the supplier's end.  Besides, I just hate wasting
money on such a small margin repair as this one.
Anyone else had a similar problems lately with Tritronics parts?
Bill
William Rayburn, CET
Premium Technologies
PO Box 442