[TechAssist] Re: Re Mr Ohms turning in his grave 220Volts?????? SHOCKED!!!!!

  • From: Jorge Camboni <geo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:52:09 -0600

Hi techs.
We are supposed to be talking about real sets, not about
a fixed impedance. If a set requires 4 amps at 120 volts,
it will require 2 amps at 240 for a determined 480 W power
drain. IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS THAT THE POWER
SUPPLY DESIGN IS DIFFERENT FROM 120 TO 220/240
unless it is a universal switching power supply which
stands a wide range of voltages on the chopper transistor
collector. Other designs, I recall some vcrs use a doubler
for 120 and a straight full or half wave for 220.
If  you double the voltage on a fixed load, you' ll end up
with 4 times the power drain (w=e2/r) but that makes no sense
By the way a chopper's transistor collector IS NOT a fixed load,
I mean a switching power supply's behavoir depends on the
load and the input voltage...
240V requires much lighter wiring, on the other hand,
it is much more dangerous.

you all have a pleasant day

Jorge Camboni, GY Electronics, Dallas/Richardson