[TechAssist] Re: Off Topic / Swimming pool liner leak in ground

  • From: "Ty" <ty1k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:37:51 -0800

Roger,
An underground water pipe or pool liner, the principal is the same. Plastic
being an insulator, and a leak in this plastic provides conduction from
within the plastic container to the outside.
If you read between the lines at Leaktools.com, the same principal applies.
Current flow detection. The only difference is that they are using sound
instead of a meter as an indicator. They can afford to use lower potentials
due to the use of an opamp driven front end on the detection probe. If you
introduce a relatively high frequency into the test current and use a tuned
detector probe, you would have the capability of "pointing" toward the leak.
I doubt that Fuzz would want to make this a week long project. I also did
not want to get elaborate. That is why I used a relatively high voltage and
a simple volt meter.

Ty

Tiberius Kraemer
BLUE STAR ELECTRONICS