[TechAssist] Re: Off Topic / Swimming pool liner leak in ground

  • From: "Ty" <ty1k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:17:06 -0800

Hi Fuzz,
Yes there is a way to narrow down a leak. I used this method to find a leak
in a situation just like yours. There is a pre requisite though. It works
only with PVC pipe. Somewhat dangerous, but a man with your background knows
what precautions to take.
Remember the old trick of gathering worms? Introduce a voltage potential
into the water, and use a probe whit a voltmeter. The higher the reading,
the closer the leak.
I used a isolated variable transformer and shoved a wire down the suspect
tube. For the probe, I used a peace of PVC tube and attached a gutter nail.
You get the picture.
I was lucky, the leak was not under concrete.
I don't know what could be done with a leak under a concrete slab.
Now if any one has any suggestions as to how to narrow down a leak under a
concrete slab, I sure would like to know about it.
I am toying with an idea of a miniature camera, but have bin unable to find
a suitable candidate for such a modification.

Ty

Tiberius Kraemer
BLUE STAR ELECTRONICS
3312 Silverton Rd. NE