[TechAssist] Re: Mitsubishi CK3526 Bad Vert output again

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:19:28 -0400

Have you gone over and replaced any bad caps in the set? Maybe one of
the B+ lines is not filtered very well causing more heat than needed in
the vertical chip.

I just finished repairing one of those sets (CK3527) and I replaced
about 25 capacitors on the deflection board, signal board, and CRT board
combined. If you see any black spots on the solder side of the board,
you might have a capacitor at that location which is leaking. If it has
a fishy smell to it when you unsolder the cap, the cap will be bad.
Also, I found that looking carefully on the component side, if the dust
that settles on the board looks a dirty greasy yellow color around a
cap, you may as well change it. The cap closest to the vertical output
IC was so bad that one leg stayed on the board when I removed the cap
(There were lots of hash lines across the screen when set came in.)
Sorry I forgot to measure the temperature of the heat sinks in this set,
but I did measure the temps in a 27" model (CS2723) of a similar chassis
a few days ago. After that set ran a couple of hours, I read the
following:

HOT heatsink: 46°C  (did the degrees sign appear between the 46 and the
C ?)

Regulator STRS5141G: 58°C

Vertical IC, LA7838: 46°C

My temperature meter only displays in Celcius.

For displaying the "degrees sign", you could try holding down the ALT
key, then while still holding the ALT key, press 0176 on the numeric
keypad. Then release the ALT key. Depending on the font you are using,
you will probably see the degrees sign appear in your document.
You can get many other characters also, such as the Ohms sign, a heart,
diamond, clubs, etc.
The easiest way to do these is to use the Character Map built into
Windows (if installed during Windows setup). On Win 2000, Character Map
is available by clicking on START\ PROGRAMS\ ACCESSORIES\ SYSTEM
TOOLS\CHARACTER MAP.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7