[TechAssist] Magnavox M# DVDR985/171 DVD burner says no disc

  • From: "Mouton's Electronics" <moutons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:54:06 -0500

Fellow Techs,
This DVD burner (stand alone unit) is the first I have ever seen in for repair.
I put in a regular DVD and it will not read it. It just says no disc. I removed
the cover to the cd tray and the laser doesn't light up. I know on many cd/dvd
players usually the laser will light up to see if a disc is in the tray but
this laser has what looks like a IR sensor similar to a vcr tape count sensor
next to it. Does anyone know what it is or if that is what it is for does the
laser not light up until the sensor detects a cd?

I checked all of the supplies to the DVD drive assembly and they are present.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Jason
Mouton Electronics