[TechAssist] Re: Gateway G5 233 wrongly flashed BIOS

  • From: <wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:44:44 -0500

Howdy...

In this case, you have 3 possible solutions.

The first option is you FLASH the BIOS via an onboard jumper.  You have to
"disconnect" the battery to as part of performing this procedure, but it
wipes out everything.

The second option is to get an EEPROM programmer, and a binary or ASCII file
of the proper BIOS.  You then burn this to the old BIOS chip, provided it
can be removed from the motherboard.  You may have to get the chip specs by
lifting the sticker.  Make sure the window is covered in case you have to
lift the sticker.  Run an erase procedure on the BIOS chip prior to flashing
the chip again.

The third option is to purchase a replacement BIOS chip, and install it in
the machine.

I would check the motherboard for the manufacturer.  In case you do not show
it, I would guess that it is one of the ones built by Intel for Gateway
using an existing Intel motherboard.

Now you know WHY you have to be careful when you are performing FLASH
upgrades on BIOS chips.  The problem being, if you have the wrong upgrade,
you can render the BIOS useless, and thereby the system inaccessible.

Richard Strickland, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CompTIA A+