[TechAssist] Re: ESCALERA Stairclimber feedback

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:03:54 -0400

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

I have had too many try to tip over on me just getting them up the 2 steps
from my storage area to my shop, but I may try using the large wheels. I
also had it slip off the top step going back out. By that I mean the lift
pads that look like rollers but don't roll, were too close to the edge of
the top step and slipped off, sending the whole thing crashing down to the
floor below. It was only two steps at my shop and nothing got damaged but my
strained back trying to hold it. I hate to think of what that would have
been like if it was on top of a flight of stairs in the customer's
view/home. Do you use the big wheels on the stairs? I too, bought all the
extra stuff to go with it.

All my customers who see it here, think it's really cool, but after
encountering the instability problems in my shop, I'm afraid to take it to a
customer's home.

I also find a 32" or 36" TV often will not fit through a door without
turning it sideways, and you can't carry it on the lift sideways. It really
wants to tip over if you do that.

If you have some tips to make this $2600 thing as useful as I thought it was
going to be, I surely want to learn the secrets.

I need a new battery for mine now. Yesterday I loaded a 36" JVC on a truck
and it sounded like it wasn't going to make. It had been on the charger
overnight because it was low the day before. I put it back on thinking I
might have forgotten to recycle the charger the night before. It starts out
yellow and turns red after a while. I don't know if the battery is causing
that because it's bad. I'll have to try the charger on a car battery and see
what happens.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH