[TechAssist] Dell Demention 2350 tower (XP-Home) no desktop icons]

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:06:02 -0400

>Subject: Dell Demention 2350 tower (XP-Home) no desktop icons
>

>I usually don't do PCs on a regular basis here, but as a courtesty to a
>customer with other damages from shipping.
>I don't think this is shipping related. late model dell tower running
>Windows XP-Home OS.
>Boots up, gets to "welcome" screen.
>Continues on to a photo-collage wallpaper desktop, but not one icon. I
>then can  Ctl-Alt-Del   and the windows task manager window appears,
>where I can select shut down,restart,etc. Should I  get into safemode
>and then select a "last known good point" to set it back to, or do
>defrag,etc.?  I am at a loss here.
>Also what key do I hold down at start up to select safe mode?
>Phil Bader

Update:

F8 got me into safemode. I have two options: "Administrator" and "user".
Either I select goes to a black screen (except the "safemode" words in
the four corners). No  reaction when I right click mouse.
 I can,again "ctl-alt-del" to get the task manager and select restart or
shutdown.
At this point, I imagine the Dell system restore disc (will ask cust.
for it) is the next step?
Phil Bader