[TechAssist] Re: Compaq 19" LCD monitor Mod.TFT8000

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:22:53 -0400

Check www.jkllamps.com. They make a lot of the tubes and ballasts. Digi-Key
is one of their distributors. The tubes are run from high frequency AC
generated by the ballast. Sometimes one of the cathodes starts to
deteriorate. You see that in ordinary fluorescents as a darkening at one
end. When that happens, the lamp does not strike at the same voltage on both
polarities so it acts as somewhat of a rectifier and that screws up the
ballast transformer, which then overheats. Sometimes it is damaged and
sometimes it is not.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave