[TechAssist] Re: 2SC4834

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:06:49 -0400

I just sent this out:

This was a previous post from Cary Citro at B&D Enterprises about the
2SC4834 transistors:

The letters at the end of the transistor are ranks of gain or Hfe. The rank
values are as follows:

M = 10-15
N = 13-18
P = 16-21

The designers at Sony have issued many different part numbers in various
configurations for their components. In the description sometimes more than
one rank can be used in that design. For example:
2SC4834MNP (all ranks can be used)
2SC4834NP (N or P rank can be used)
2SC4834M (M rank only is supposed to be used)
2SC4834P (P rank only)
etc etc

So, my advice for all of you using these popular transistors is to check the
Sony specs, see what rank they call out in the 9 digit part number
description, and use only the correct rank of Hfe in the repair. Obviously
the designers made some applications gain sensitive, some not.

Another misconception here is the term "generic" vs. "OEM" in your
perception. This part is manufactured by Shindengen Electric in Japan. We
are an authorized distributor for that company. Sony does not make the
transistor, they buy them from Shindengen to be used in their designs. So to
say that you bought an "OEM" original device just because you bought it from
Sony is erroneous since Sony is not the OEM who manufactured the part,
Shindengen is. The original, or OEM source is Shindengen.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager
Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms