[TechAssist] Re: 19 inch portables

  • From: larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:42:48 -0400

Walter, how can you do it?
Years ago i used to sell a few brands and i couldnt compete
with Wal-mart in sales at all.
they were selling them cheaper than i could buy them from my
distributor.
I could only buy maybe a dozen every few months.
I knew it was time to give up sales when i contemplated buying
them at Walmart to re-sell them.
Well i never was a good salesman anyway.
:)
I thought i was a good tv repair man but i am beginning to
wonder now, with these new hdtv s. i call tech support but
they dont seem to have any answers either.
Larry

walter wood wrote:

> Maximum labor on a set under 27" is about $30.00
> here.
> The total bill better not excede about $60.00
> I don't even look at vcrs anymore.
> $300.00 on a projection tv that has much age on it
> will get a rejection also.
> But we are selling a lot of HD tvs.
> I don't know what the traffic will bear on those
> yet.
> They are all still in warranty, but my best Major,
> labor rate from a manufacturer is only $198.00.
> It's a tough life now.
> Walter
>
> --- "J.Knoll" <jhk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Phil,
>>   You obviously live in a different planet than
>>I do here in West
>>Virginia. I get a diagnostic fee up front and
>>have for quite a while.
>>People here keep close track on the prices for
>>new units and through it
>>into your face at drop off time. 100 DOLLARS for
>>a 19 inch or 13 inch
>>combo? Well not here buddy they would laugh you
>>out of business. Vcr
>>repair 50.00? I laughed so hard I almost fell out
>>of my chair.  Well it
>>is good to know that in some areas people can
>>still earn a decent living
>>on those. Unfortunately not here where I am at. I
>>would have a better
>>chance at hitting the lottery that expecting to
>>make that anymore on
>>those units.
>>Jay Jay,s TV
>>Clarksburg, WV
>>

>>Phil Bader wrote:
>>

>>>I still get 13" TVCRs, 13 and 19-20 " TVs. I
>>
>>manage to get 60-100.00 range.
>>
>>>if you guys stuck to your guns and collected a
>>
>>diagnisis fee up front,
>>
>>>you would nail most all those repairs with few
>>
>>turn downs.
>>
>>>A 13-20" TV in the door: $25.00 up front
>>
>>diagnostic fee (applied to
>>
>>>their OKd repair).
>>>A 25-32" set: $39.00 fee up front.
>>>A 13-27" TVCR combi: $39.00 fee.
>>>VCR  $25.00 fee.
>>>Typical VCR repair: (maintanence,timing,etc)
>>
>>$49.00 - 25.00 dep. Bal
>>
>>>due: 24.00. That customer will go 24.00 tp not
>>
>>lose the VCR and 25.00.
>>
>>>They "see" the bal due, folks. Not deceptive,
>>
>>just covering our expenses.
>>
>>>A 27" TV typical bill:   79.00 labor+ 49.00
>>
>>parts= 128.00 +(6.5% tax)
>>
>>>8.32=  $136.32 total.  Less 39.00 deposit: 97.32
>>
>>due.
>>
>>>The customer cannot buy a NICE DEPENDABLE WELL
>>
>>BUILT 27" TV for less
>>
>>>than a hundred bucks.
>>>I've added up all my month's small 25.00 fees
>>
>>on the "turn downs" and
>>
>>>they easily paid ,say, my phone bill, or
>>
>>electric,etc in a month.
>>
>>>I hear a lot of sad stories out there about
>>
>>cheapo sets driving down the
>>
>>>business. Be an honest salesman! Explain
>>
>>truthfully what you know as
>>
>>>gospel: Theat customers older set that had a

> [...]

Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.
5415 N. Wooster ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622       www.geocities.com/schntv2000/
330-343-0768         FCC. first class & Extra class K8WLY