[TCUG] Re: Use of wireless radio comms, IP addressable UTC??

  • From: "Purdie, Hamilton" <Hamilton.Purdie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:04:32 +0100

Douglas,

We've used Wireless Communications for about 4 years now on our Peek
SCOOT System. This covers 270 junctions and pedestrian crossings and
uses a Motorola 2.4GHz Mesh Radio system supplied by Now Wireless
through our Peek Contract. It interfaces with their Chameleon
Outstations back to the Traffic Control Centre via our Corporate Wide
Area Network.

Generally the Wi Fi element has been extremely robust although there
have been issues with the Peek communications over the constant network
carrier as they install there system. The Intermittent Data Failures are
within acceptable limits.

The Wi Fi installation went very well.

I am considering moving my 10 Car Park Guidance VMS, 5 Large Strategic
VMS, and 32 ADSL CCTV Cameras onto the network, but am waiting until I
take the system over from Peek later on in the summer. It may also be
possible to move 250 Real Time Passenger Information Signs at Bus
Shelters onto the system from their existing Analogue Mobile Radio in
the future.

Yes I'd use Wi Fi again, but Wi Fi Max and a higher licensed frequency
may be a better long term solution for our City which has nearly 1,000
signals.

Regards,=20

Hamilton Purdie=20
Group Manager Traffic Systems