[TCUG] Re: Un-staggered crossings

  • From: shirleyreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:58:08 +0100

Dave

Have you sought the views of your Safety Auditors?

How large would the central refuge be? You could potentially have quite a
few people waiting in the middle. It would surely need to be at least 3
metres wide.

The use of nearside aspects would reduce the see-through problem. But
people may still be confused by what others waiting in the middle are doing
- when some have a green man and others have a red man.

Who is applying the pressure? We have a very vocal Pedestrians Association
who are against the use of staggered crossings and guard railing. We always
try and quote the relevant sections of Local transport Note 2/95 to counter
their arguments. I'm sure they would love this idea - please don't tell
them about it, as I think we would say "No"!

Regards

Shirley Reynolds
Warwickshire County Council

                    "Dave Hulson"

                    <Dave.Hulson@nottinghamci      To:  "TCUG"
<tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    ty.gov.uk>                     cc:

                    Sent by:                       Subject:  [TCUG]
Un-staggered crossings

                    tcug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    05/07/02 08:58

                    Please respond to tcug

We are coming under increasing pressure to provide pedestrian routes
through junctions which appear direct to the pedestrians.  Whereas
previously we would have tried to stagger separately controlled movements
to make it clear that they were separate crossings and to avoid problems
with seeing the wrong ped signals, we are now being asked to line them up
as for a straight across crossing.

I appreciate that by using nearside pedestrian signals the problems
associated with seeing the wrong ped head can be removed, all be it with
a risk of seeing no ped head.  However, is it reasonable to assume that
it will be clear to users that the individual crossings should be treated
separately?

I would welcome any views or experiences that others may have had with
regards to using 'un-staggered' crossings.