[TCUG] Selective Vehicle Control for Emergency Vehicles

  • From: "Hodge, Peter" <PeterHodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:41:05 +0100

Good morning all,

Can anybody help with this one.

East Sussex County Council have recently installed SVD control for emergency
vehicles at an isolated junction.

To put you in the picture, the junction is on the extremes of the county
boundary and the fire brigade objected to the scheme proposals on the basis
that delays may take their response time beyond the Home Office
requirements. ESCC agreed to provide SVD which would provide a priority
green signal for the approaching appliance, with all other approaches held
on red. Sensible idea you might think.

The fire brigade then asked whether it is possible to make the priority
stage "All Red" so that the appliance can negotiate the junction knowing
that all vehicles will be stationary. A reasonable request I thought.

Whilst I know that this is technically possible, does anybody know the legal
position on encouraging the appliance to proceed through a red signal.

Peter Hodge
Owen Williams consultants
On behalf of East Sussex County Council