[TCUG] Re: Passively safe poles

  • From: "Gollop, Alistair J" <Alistair.Gollop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:06:54 +0100

Carole

Having had an opportunity to use a few different types of poles, I would
suggest that, as you have found from your practical experience, that the
mix of equipment for different applications needs to be looked at
carefully. There would appear to be two types of solution commercially
available at this time in the UK for electrical isolation of the poles,
the Snatch-plug and the Electrical Isolator. It may be found that one of
these is better for poles which are designed to breakaway, whereas the
alternative may be preferential for poles which yield.=20

The use of Crash-friendly products is gradually spreading, with the
realisation that they are an additional tool in the signal engineers
design toolkit, but until a consensus is reached amongst the signal
engineering community, about how different mixes of products should be
utilised it will continue to cause confusion and misunderstanding.

In answer to the previous question regarding the use of passively safe
short poles, the TA specifies that poles used in the vicinity of where
NMU's are likely to be, must not be Non-energy (N.E.)Absorbing types,
but Low-energy (L.E.) and High-energy (H.E.) are permissible. Taking
this into account, if an errant vehicle were to strike it, it would be
unlikely that the pole would "fly off", but instead yield in front of
the vehicle. An electrical isolator system is still required for ELV
circuits on Crash-friendly poles.=20

regards

Alistair Gollop MIHIE, MIET, Traffic Signal Engineer

Mott MacDonald Ltd, Stoneham Place, Stoneham Lane, Southampton, SO50 9NW

Office: 023 8062 8725  Mobile: 07717 224366  Fax: 07092 218790=20
Email: alistair.gollop@xxxxxxxxxxx

This message is from Mott MacDonald Limited, registered in England
number 1243967.
Registered office: St Anne House, 20-26 Wellesley Road, Croydon, Surrey,
CR9 2UL, England.