[TCUG] Re: 'One-Can' Crossings

  • From: mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:56:16 +0100

Yes we are, and in fact have been since long before the pelican came out in
1969! There is in fact nothing new about them (except the name - which of
course started out fairly recently as a joke!).

They use the standard signal sequence to traffic, and the standard far-side
sequence to peds (as given in TSR&GD), so as I see it they are perfectly
legal and do not require authorisation. Theoretically, you might violate
the on-crossing detector spec if you were to use these (on anything other
than Puffin & Toucan), but if you use fixed clearances you should be OK.
Having said that, from a discussion had with Suku from DfT last week, it
would appear that the main reason for us (Leeds) making extensive use of
One-cans rather than Puffins in our city centre (namely: excessive timing
variability which works to no-ones advantage in UTC situations) is under
serious review - there appears to be a good chance that we be given advice
(in the form a TAL) which allows us to substantially reduce the variability
(i.e. clearances after green man down to something more like 'width / 1.2'
rather than those given in TAL2/95). So watch this space!

Mervyn
Leeds 2466750

                      "Ellis, Ian

                      (DEVELOPMENT)"           To:      "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      <Ian.Ellis@plymo         cc:

                      uth.gov.uk>              Subject: [TCUG] 'One-Can'
Crossings
                      Sent by:

                      tcug-bounce@free

                      lists.org

                      24/06/2004 17:10

                      Please respond

                      to tcug

Can anyone tell me whether they are using the 'One-can' crossing, i.e. a
Toucan crossing without the Cycle aspect?  Are they legal and/or was
approval required?

Ian Ellis
Plymouth City Council
01752 307801

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

Service of legal documents is not accepted by email