[TCUG] Re: IP based cameras

  • From: "Dave Parkyns" <dparkyns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:44:03 +0100

We have just trialled some IP cameras at Transport for London, we are
currently only using a 256Kbps uplink, so picture quality and frame rate
cannot compete with analogue systems at that level, but are looking to trial
2Mbps cameras later in the year, which from bench trials appear comparible
with analogue systems and initial indications are that the latency is low
enough to enable real time camera control.

Even at 256K, traffic control operators have reported that they are
"adequate" for traffic monitoring purposes, and the infrastructure required
to support the cameras is significantly lower than that of analogue systems.
Communcations costs are not particularly tempting yet compared to analogue
systems, unless you are willing to risk using the internet (we didn't!) but
we are anticipating this cost reducing as IP services become more widespread

As part of our IP review for Transport for London, we are also interested to
learn of other Local Authorities experience in upgrading or expanding their
CCTV systems, either including IP migration or not, and if anyone would be
willing to share their experience with us, we would be extremely grateful.
I can be contacted through the forum or directly below.

Regards

Dave
on behalf of DTO, Transport for London
David Parkyns
Associate

IBI Group
Kemp House, 152-160 City Road, London, UK EC1V 2NP
Tel: +44 (0)20 7017 1858 (direct dial)
Tel: +44 (0)20 7017 1850 (switchboard)
Fax: +44 (0)20 7251 8339
dparkyns@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ibigroup.com

NOTE:
This e-mail message and attachments may contain privileged and confidential
information.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and delete this e-mail message.