[tccrockets] Re: The saga of the KISS rocket \ Re: Re: Tripoli Rules 2012

  • From: James Dougherty <jafrado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:32:16 -0800

David

Thanks, that's a great problem, its off topic since we don't fly peroxide
motors at TCC (the rules are regarding HPR), and the discussion is on IGNITION
systems. However, I have some experience in this area and as it pertains to
commercial electronics and harmonics there are quite a few things to check out!

In electrical engineering the slang word we use for Electromagnetic (EM)
phenomena is "cross-talk", it occurs when a resonant frequency interferes with
a carrier or main signal frequency. This can happen when oscillations within
the bay (eg metal on metal) interfere with circuitry on the system board or
create noise in the power supply. A common example of this (in RC aircraft)
occurs when a poorly mounted RF receiver vibrates with engine /blade noise and
creates "servo chatter". Mounting the electronics securely with rubber grommets
will usually alleviate this problem.

Next is whether one of the solder joints failed on the electronics circuit
board or there were issues with the mounting. Did you pot the PCB?
This is an easy (but irreversible) procedure but can prevent this (and also act
as a band-pass filter for low frequency noise).

On the wreckage I would have X-rayed the PCB if it was intact, most assembly
houses can do that for you, I can recommend someone if you want but that would
have ruled out PCB damage during flight.

Regarding the firmware and how it can fail with harmonic oscillations and
sensor data, the "Nyquist rate" is the rate in digital signal processing which
is the upper bound for how much information you can process on a bandwidth
limited channel. The nyquist rate is 2x the true data rate.

Nyquist says that if you want 100 samples/second you should actually
Be sampling 200 samples/second.

We kind of know that intuitively when we fly altimeters and crank up the sample
rate as it gives us better graphs

As to how the flight computers all operate with sensor data
(Barometers,Accelerometers, IMU's, etc)  a rough example of what could be
happening is that if the A/D samples 50hz, and you oscillate at 20hz, your
effective sampling rate is 1/2 50hz (25hz) and half the Nyquist rate is 12.5hz,
the firmware (as it loses efficiency in sensor data) effectively "slows down"
and apogee may never be seen!

This is an evil side effect of vibrations with noisy sensors driven over A/D,
and is solved with a Kalman filter. The Marsa54 supports Kalman filtering.

The other issue with harmonics on circuit boards which occurs during A/D
conversion is the sensor data forms a hysteresis around a band or harmonic
frequency, effectively locking out A/D data. You solve this with a "low-pass"
or "band gap" filter and most Accelerometers do not do this. However, You can
mount your electronics in an otter box and solve this problem by insulating or
"masking out" harmonics which confuse A/D data from the flight computer.

Did you use solid copper wire? I wouldn't use yellow shooters wire For anything
besides e-matches. Use stranded wire for switches and power and always check
for cold solder joints. The V2 rockets started to fail at the end of WW2
because stranded wire was not available as the factories were all bombed and
destroyed. harmonic oscillations from the ethanol rocket motor caused lots of
vibration and cracked the wire to various control systems.

I agree your setup has lots of complicated failure modes as Hybrid motors
create a lot of vibration. But, I would be looking at a G-wiz HCX 200g, a
Marsa54, or a Raven and being extra cautious how that baby gets mounted.

When will you fly your rocket again?  I think I can get your flight computers
to work. Do you come to TCC launches?

Thanks,
-James

Sent from my iPhone