[tccrockets] Re: Tripoli Rules 2012

  • From: "Ron McGough" <rrmagoo7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:52:45 -0800

James and others,

I consider this a very important issue concerning the breakwire method of
arming electronics. I've had to use this method when arming one of the Perfect
Flight mini timers that also uses a G switch, seems the Timer won't arm when
used while flying a hybrid. Neither will the Missle Works Pet2 timer, at least
not the last time I checked. That being said I'm curious if it is acceptable to
use a breakwire as long as an acceptable on-off switch is also used to power
the system up once the rocket is upright on the pad? It seems to me that it
can't get any safer than that.

Just to let you all know at ROC's last big launch we had an incident with this
same problem concerning the use of a timer igniting air-starts. Seems the flier
didn't use any type of on-off switch or break wire for his G-switch activated
timer (Perfect Flight). He had installed the batteries and had the rocket
laying on the ground when he went to hook up the air start igniters, bet you
can guess what happened next. Yup, the timer had activated and timed out while
the rocket was laying on it's side so when the flier hooked the wires together
it lit and luckily it only lit the one he was hooking up.

Doesn't matter what rules are out there, fliers and RSO's need to either know
how these electronics work and if they don't then get someone that does to
inspect their use.

Ron McGough
BDR
            From: AiRobert <airobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 11:01 AM

            Yes these are switches used to for launch detect to start a second
stage.