[tccrockets] Re: July Launch

  • From: James Dougherty <jafrado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TCC chat <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:28:55 -0700

Damn Jimmy, sorry to hear that - I hate it when stuff like that happens.
Overload that BP next time - you won't hurt that airframe - despite the
lawn-dart it looks solid as a rock - even rebuildable!

-James

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Jimmy Franco <Aldocyber3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks James for the pic and video

So here is the flight report as tragic as it is
Wildman 3" Shredder
CTI K630BS
Rocket came in hot, lawn dart.
Cause of failure- booster did not separate a apogee.
Ematch did fire, but apparently not enough charge to separate.
Main charge fired on the way down and stripped nosecone and main chute,
this event likely saved my Data Logger & Tracker in the nosecone.
Entire 22" long payload section was shredded underground from impact.
Ebay was pushed back into booster 4", fore bulkhead was pushed back into
ebay
2", this was the bad part. This damaged Raven and PowerPearch.
Only things saved tracker, Data Logger, recovery items, nosecone,
motor hardware and cut 8" off booster and it is good to go again.
Also something noteworthy ~ 118 Gs on impact, this sent nozzle forward in
the liner
to about 3" from the front of the motor, I thought that was interesting.
Lesson learned, but not on this flight, I know this before this failure-
1. ground test your setups
2. redundancy, I had provision for back up charges but chose not to use
them
BTW I did retrieve the flight data from the Raven 7,787 AGL
The time v altitude curve looked hauntingly frightening.
Just nice smooth curve up then down, that is not what you want to see
like the top part of a circle. I could see when charges fired by
indication of G shocks.

Jimmy F.
TRA 12524
-----Original Message----- From: James Dougherty