[tcb] Deep oil sump

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:17:10 -0500

The '68 Bus of mine is homemade camper, a one of a kind which is cool but it is much heavier than let's say a Westy. It has been suggested to me to perhaps add a deep oil sump, with the idea being that more oil will help the engine that will be working hard moving such a heavy beast stay cooler. Do you think it is a good idea?

When talking to my local parts guy he wanted to make sure that I am aware that the deep oil sump adds up to 2 3/4" to the bottom of the engine. There are some choices that are thinner but then hold less extra oil. Should I be worried about extending the engine closer to the ground? I don't imagine doing any crazy off roading adventures with this Bus, it is currently in not-so-great-a-shape so it is odd just imagining it moving at all.

Julie