TalkSerotek: Re: questions regarding System Access from a new user Think of it this way!

  • From: James Aldrich <jkaldrich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: talk-serotek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:19:50 -0400

Hello Channelle and list,

Keep in mind, you are in the driver's seat when it comes to your own access technology needs. A committee of any kind on this list or anywhere else shouldn't determine what is needed and best suited for you! That is totally up to you! That's the bottom line! In my opinion, anyone defending JFW or Window Eyes as the best solution is greatly out of step with what is happening with System Access! System Access is foreign to the above mentioned screen readers. It uses differing concepts than those of Window Eyes or JFW. Look for CSAW in the help section. A video driver isn't needed when running System Access. I can use System Access on a weak battery in my laptop longer than I can use Window Eyes. This is partly due to the video drivers, voice engine and a few other things! System Access doesn't have you carry around so much baggage in order to use it so to speak. The people at Serotek acknowledge that other solutions may be needed in some situations! So nobody is going to frown on you for using JFW or Window Eyes especially if these work with a situation you feel these options are better suited. Scripts may not be needed here in most situations! You don't have to be a computer geek in order to run System Access! If you need to have pronunciation changed in some situations, various Windows need to be read continually and on it goes, then you may need to keep the traditional solutions! Again! This is up to you!

Think of your journey with System Access as a journey of discovery! Ask yourself What does it work with rather than what doesn't it work with! Try System Access whenever you use your computer and try it with many varying situations! I think you will find that it isn't geeky! It isn't hard on your pocket book! Product Support is unlike anything you have seen before, I promise you!

I think a few questions are in order!

Where else can you try a high quality screen reader free of charge? Where else can you get a free thirty day trial of not only the screen reader but the network as well? Where else can you simply press enter on a link and your favorite music or movie is playing? Where else can you easily sync this content to a Victor Stream and perhaps other devices? Does any other access vendor allow for remote access of a PC? What other resource offers you the ability to plug in that U3 drive and use the screen access program, descriptive video library, scanned documents, notes to yourself, your favorite music sites and a host of other things and plug these into any number of XP or Vista machines and have them available in seconds? Which screen reader keeps your speech settings wherever you go or keeps your settings of each speech engine you choose? These days, the Alva BC640 and a new Handitech Braille Display works with System Access! These displays don't require specialized drivers. Those displays using specialized drivers for the traditional screen readers won't work with System Access. I would say the answer is obvious! Nobody else offers so much for so little! If you decide you wish to have this for yourself, you can simply give your credit card number and you will be on the air! You will be a fully licensed System Access Mobile User! Yes! Even your Email goes on whatever XP or Vista PC you choose! As they say in their motto! "Access Anywhere"! You don't have to wait for that CD or collect a housefull of them! System Access is upgraded continually!

Okay! You may have holes in what you access! System Access may be able to fill a few more of those holes! After all! Aren't we trying to improve what is accessible? Perhaps System Access may be worth a great deal to you if it makes something accessible which wasn't accessible with the above mentioned screen readers! If System Access plays second fiddle, that's perfectly okay! If it fills in a few more access holes, this is exactly what you were hoping for! ~

Yes! I have window Eyes and I'm quite happy with it when I use it! I'm finding though that I am using System Access better than Ninety percent of the time! Why! It is so easy to use! I can go from one PC to another and continue where I left off! If need be, I plug it in and use it! The people here are very friendly and upbeat!

No solution is perfect and nobody is perfect! In my judgment, or should I say my opinion, gone are the days of my screen reader is better than your screen reader! That's how it should be! The question should always be, which screen reader works better in a given situation! I pointed out any number of situations where the three established screen readers can't hold a candle to system access! I of course am referring to how flexible and portable system access is! I'm willing to bet System Access will meet ninety percent of your computing needs! That's quite good for a system which had the leisure computer user in mind rather than a user in the work place! Simply read all material on the Serotek site and that which you find on SA Mobile.

I hope you will find these thoughts to be a better vehicle for making your decision! I believe System Access for me has been worth more for my money than any other access technology I have! I wish you well on your journey of discovery!

Sincerely,
Jim Aldrich

Talk-Serotek Archives ar at: //www.freelists.org/archives/talk-serotek/