[tabi] Re: uber

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:02:47 -0400

Thanks Owen; that's Uber's position.

Even if you had a ride in an "Uber" car in a place where it wasn't legal, I
don't think you'd have to worry about going to jail as the post implied.  I
think at worst the driver would get a ticket, if the officer even somehow knew
the ride was arranged through Uber.

I do understand why a woman would be reluctant to use it, but Uber does explain
how they background check their drivers, and they will have a record of the
driver and of each ride arranged (which should be enough in itself to make you
feel ok about it, as there will be enough evidence for you to use in any future
claim that anyone who wanted to use this as a means of committing a crime
wouldn't get far).

For blind people I imagine it could be quite a bonus, as I suspect many Uber
drivers would be willing to help you get into your destination, and likely even
to get where you're going if you aren't familiar with the place (unlike many
cab drivers).  Unfortunately, since they're using their personal cars, there
will be some who won't want to take a dog, and you'd be wise to clear that with
the driver from the  first when arranging the ride.