[tabi] Re: Fwd: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 08:03:12 -0500

Amazing, Maybe the award is based on which city has the most pedestrians hit by
cars.   Kind of like the award Star Metro won.  Hog wash.

Robert

    From: "City of Tallahassee" <City_of_Tallahassee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: November 8, 2013 at 10:25:07 AM EST
    To: <austin.evans60@xxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

          City of Tallahassee News Release
          Communications / City Hall / Tallahassee FL 32301 / 850.891.8533

          Walk This Way!

          Tallahassee Receives Silver Walk Friendly Community Designation -
Pedestrians in Tallahassee may be more prone to having a spring in their step
as of yesterday when Mayor John Marks announced that the City of Tallahassee
received a Silver Walk Friendly Community designation from the Pedestrian and
Bicycle Information Center (PBIC). The Walk Friendly Community program is the
only national recognition program that highlights communities across the United
States for their walking successes.

          Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a
step above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is an
honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our citizens to move
around this beautiful city.'

          Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a
step above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is an
honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our citizens to move
around this beautiful city.'

          Tallahassee was one of four cities and the only in Florida to be
named to this year's Silver designation level. Judges specifically noted the
City's efforts in the following areas:

            a.. The high quality sidewalk design standards and ordinances that
promote density in the Mobility District, which shows the City's commitment to
providing a safe and comfortable pedestrian environment.
            b.. The variety of outreach techniques used that allow for diverse
segments of Tallahassee's population to participate in the planning process.
            c.. The excellent collaboration and targeted enforcement activities
of the multiple law enforcement agencies serving Tallahassee.
            d.. Engineering and design practices that have led to a good
network of pedestrian facilities, crossing treatments and other amenities that
enhance the pedestrian environment.
          In the award packet, the judges noted, 'Tallahassee's sidewalk design
standards [in the Mobility District] are outstanding and representative of a
truly walkable environment! We were also impressed with Tallahassee's sidewalk
coverage and the amount of new sidewalk that will be constructed in the next
three years.'

          To view a complete list of planned and ongoing sidewalk projects from
the City, Leon County, Blueprint 2000, Capital Region Transportation Planning
Agency (CRTPA) and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), please
visit Talgov.com.

          To date, there are 44 Walk Friendly Communities across the nation
with Seattle, Wash. being the only Platinum level community.

          For more information on these programs and a complete list of this
year's award recipients, please visit Walkfriendly.org. To learn more about the
Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department, please call 891-6400 or visit
Talgov.com/Planning.

          Contact: Megan Doherty, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department,
891-6441; or Heather Teter, Department of Communications, 891-8533