[tabi] Re: Fwd: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

  • From: mccaulo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:54:43 -0500 (EST)

I would be interested in seeing how Tallahassee fares in the most recent Transportation for America-Dangerous by Design study. I know when we were fighting the losing battle against StarMetro's ill-advised, poorly-planned Nova 2010 bus route decentralization we found figures in one iteration of that study that showed Tallahassee was more than twice as dangerous as the national average. I don't know if they have put out a more recent study or not. It would be interesting to see if Tallahassee's standing has improved. Giving credit where credit is due, I think the city is making an effort in some areas (the Mobility District) to make Tallahassee more pedestrian friendly. The problem that city officials need to recognize, however, is that for some of us who don't drive the entire city is our mobility district.

From: "City of Tallahassee" &lt;City_of_Tallahassee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
Date: November 8, 2013 at 10:25:07 AM EST
To: &lt;austin.evans60@xxxxxxxxx&gt;
Subject: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

City of Tallahassee News ReleaseCommunications / City Hall / Tallahassee FL 32301 / 850.891.8533

Walk This Way!
Tallahassee Receives Silver Walk Friendly Community Designation - Pedestrians in Tallahassee may be more prone to having a spring in their step as of yesterday when Mayor John Marks announced that the City of Tallahassee received a Silver Walk Friendly Community designation from the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center (PBIC). The Walk Friendly Community program is the only national recognition program that highlights communities across the United States for their walking successes. Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a step above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is an honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our citizens to move around this beautiful city.' Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a step above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is an honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our citizens to move around this beautiful city.' Tallahassee was one of four cities and the only in Florida to be named to this year's Silver designation level. Judges specifically noted the City's efforts in the following areas:The high quality sidewalk design standards and ordinances that promote density in the Mobility District, which shows the City's commitment to providing a safe and comfortable pedestrian environment. The variety of outreach techniques used that allow for diverse segments of Tallahassee's population to participate in the planning process. The excellent collaboration and targeted enforcement activities of the multiple law enforcement agencies serving Tallahassee. Engineering and design practices that have led to a good network of pedestrian facilities, crossing treatments and other amenities that enhance the pedestrian environment.

In the award packet, the judges noted, 'Tallahassee's sidewalk design standards [in the Mobility District] are outstanding and representative of a truly walkable environment! We were also impressed with Tallahassee's sidewalk coverage and the amount of new sidewalk that will be constructed in the next three years.' To view a complete list of planned and ongoing sidewalk projects from the City, Leon County, Blueprint 2000, Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency (CRTPA) and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), please visit Talgov.com. To date, there are 44 Walk Friendly Communities across the nation with Seattle, Wash. being the only Platinum level community. For more information on these programs and a complete list of this year's award recipients, please visit Walkfriendly.org. To learn more about the Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department, please call 891-6400 or visit Talgov.com/Planning. Contact: Megan Doherty, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department, 891-6441; or Heather Teter, Department of Communications, 891-8533