[tabi] Re: Fwd: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:16:11 -0500

And one other important point to possibly help explain why we have such a
safety problem for pedestrians, and I think we should keep it in mind and
hold their feet to the fire, is the county.  The last I heard, the county
had a policy of *never* adding a sidewalk to any of its roads.  As
Tallahassee has expanded, many of us ended up living in what looks like an
urban environment, but really we're in the county; and we have no hope of
having sidewalks along our roads.

Allison and I live within a mile of a StarMetro route, but we would have to
walk along a county road which has only ditches along its edge, and has a
speed limit of 45.  It would be completely unsafe for us to try and walk
along it to get to the bus.

When I called county commissioners and employees about this, they literally
told me that if I wanted sidewalks I should move to the city; the county
doesn't do things like sidewalks.

I think Owen's point is a good one, but it's not just the city of
Tallahassee who is to blame for this problem.

From: "City of Tallahassee" &lt;City_of_Tallahassee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
Date: November 8, 2013 at 10:25:07 AM EST
To: &lt;austin.evans60@xxxxxxxxx&gt;
Subject: City of Tallahassee News Release - Walk This Way!

  City of Tallahassee News ReleaseCommunications / City Hall /
Tallahassee FL 32301 / 850.891.8533

Walk This Way!
Tallahassee Receives Silver Walk Friendly Community Designation -
Pedestrians in Tallahassee may be more prone to having a spring in
their step as of yesterday when Mayor John Marks announced that the
City of Tallahassee received a Silver Walk Friendly Community
designation from the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center (PBIC).
The Walk Friendly Community program is the only national recognition
program that highlights communities across the United States for their
walking successes.
Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a step
above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is
an honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our
citizens to move around this beautiful city.'
Receiving this national award is a clear indication that we are a step
above the rest,' said Mayor Marks. 'And, we couldn't be happier. It is
an honor to be recognized for our efforts to create ways for our
citizens to move around this beautiful city.'
Tallahassee was one of four cities and the only in Florida to be named
to this year's Silver designation level. Judges specifically noted the
City's efforts in the following areas:The high quality sidewalk design
standards and ordinances that promote density in the Mobility District,
which shows the City's commitment to providing a safe and comfortable
pedestrian environment.
The variety of outreach techniques used that allow for diverse segments
of Tallahassee's population to participate in the planning process.
The excellent collaboration and targeted enforcement activities of the
multiple law enforcement agencies serving Tallahassee.
Engineering and design practices that have led to a good network of
pedestrian facilities, crossing treatments and other amenities that
enhance the pedestrian environment.

In the award packet, the judges noted, 'Tallahassee's sidewalk design
standards [in the Mobility District] are outstanding and representative
of a truly walkable environment! We were also impressed with
Tallahassee's sidewalk coverage and the amount of new sidewalk that
will be constructed in the next three years.'
To view a complete list of planned and ongoing sidewalk projects from
the City, Leon County, Blueprint 2000, Capital Region Transportation
Planning Agency (CRTPA) and the Florida Department of Transportation
(FDOT), please visit Talgov.com.
To date, there are 44 Walk Friendly Communities across the nation with
Seattle, Wash. being the only Platinum level community.
For more information on these programs and a complete list of this
year's award recipients, please visit Walkfriendly.org. To learn more
about the Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department, please call
891-6400 or visit Talgov.com/Planning.
Contact: Megan Doherty, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department,
891-6441; or Heather Teter, Department of Communications, 891-8533