[tabi] Re: Fifth Annual Tandem Ability Ride!

  • From: <sgreenblatt76@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:24:57 -0400

There are two handlebars and you're correct about the rear handlebars, they're fixed in place. On some bikes the rear handlebars are fixed to the front seat and are raised and lowered with the height of the front seat; on others the rear handlebars can be raised or lowered independently. The bikes come in various sizes based on body sizes but as on all other bikes the seats (saddles) are adjustable. The main issue with the size of the bike is the height of the captain versus the bike because the captain must be able to stabilize the bike by straddling it while the stoker gets seated in back. Most tandems have many gears but only a single chain connecting them. The bikes can be designed as either street, off-road, or street/off-road where the tires can be switched out. It's the frame of the bike that controls what tires they can handle. In terms of where you can buy one you'll have to check around town at the local bike shops as I bought mine from David Bigoney. I will warn you though that they are quite expensive and as a beginning rider it's probably a better idea to purchase a used bike to attempt to keep the costs down. If your captain is of a smaller than average body height it is possible to have a custom tandem built to fit him/her but that's a whole lot of money. I hope this information has been helpful; please keep in mind I'm a novice tandem rider and am just explaining what I've picked up through my own personal experience asking questions to my captains.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blackjack" <misterblackjack2@xxxxxxxxx>