[sustainableri] Re: next meeting march 6 @ 430

  • From: Violet Gurian <violetgurian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sustainableri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:47:35 -0500

i also have lots and lots of seeds!
On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Andrea Starr wrote:

OMG I thought the meeting was today but it was yesterday?! craaappp. oh well. I have fennel, basil, salad mix, and dill seeds to plant. i have space in my house and a grow light for getting tomatoes/peppers etc. started indoors. i also have two packs of delicious butter-and-sugar corn seeds that I want to plant this year, so if the planning of beds could include space for that i would be really happy. I'm thinking it might go good in the long bed that was beans and peppers last year? hopefully this year will be much, much better for summer and winter squashes. I would be delighted to help Nina with the planting plan, I have some ideas on where we can put things based on where we had planted things last year -- how we can "rotate the crops", maybe too how we can do more complimentary plantings like marigolds with tomatoes and beans with squash and corn. we definitely need to plant fewer squash plants that are spaced further apart this year, i think. we can plant other things in between, but the squash mounds need to give the vines plenty of space so they can "breathe", and mound it nice and high so the roots will stay warm and dry. I think that is one of the mistakes we made last year -- mounds not big enough and too close together. we did so well with tomatoes and peppers last year, and also the bokchoy and other greens were amazing, so let's definitely do those all again. the radishes were a huge favorite too. And this year we'll be getting going early enough to put in suger snap peas, with are sooo good! I want to help however I can with the bees, I love bees a lot and have been wanting to build a beehive for a long time. I can help research what kind we should order and from where. I know that if we're going to do it, we need to order them soon. It will be so fun to get a roaring box of bees in the mail!

love, andrea

ps: dauna i have money for you.  call me.