[sustainableri] Re: next meeting march 6 @ 430

  • From: Andrea Starr <starr.andrea@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sustainableri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:40:07 -0500

OMG I thought the meeting was today but it was yesterday?!  craaappp.  oh
well.  I have fennel, basil, salad mix, and dill seeds to plant.  i have
space in my house and a grow light for getting tomatoes/peppers etc. started
indoors.  i also have two packs of delicious butter-and-sugar corn seeds
that I want to plant this year, so if the planning of beds could include
space for that i would be really happy.  I'm thinking it might go good in
the long bed that was beans and peppers last year?
hopefully this year will be much, much better for summer and winter
squashes.
I would be delighted to help Nina with the planting plan, I have some ideas
on where we can put things based on where we had planted things last year --
how we can "rotate the crops", maybe too how we can do more complimentary
plantings like marigolds with tomatoes and beans with squash and corn.  we
definitely need to plant fewer squash plants that are spaced further apart
this year, i think. we can plant other things in between, but the squash
mounds need to give the vines plenty of space so they can "breathe", and
mound it nice and high so the roots will stay warm and dry.  I think that is
one of the mistakes we made last year -- mounds not big enough and too close
together.
we did so well with tomatoes and peppers last year, and also the bokchoy and
other greens were amazing, so let's definitely do those all again.  the
radishes were a huge favorite too.  And this year we'll be getting going
early enough to put in suger snap peas, with are sooo good!
I want to help however I can with the bees, I love bees a lot and have been
wanting to build a beehive for a long time.  I can help research what kind
we should order and from where.  I know that if we're going to do it, we
need to order them soon.  It will be so fun to get a roaring box of bees in
the mail!

love, andrea

ps: dauna i have money for you.  call me.