[suncommunity] Re: I want to Solaris . . . . . . .

  • From: Larye Parkins <larye@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:17:54 -0600 (MDT)

In general (from memory, with minor inaccuracies, no doubt):

Sun Blade 100/150s have:
        IDE CD-ROM/HDD up to 137GB per drive, shipped with 15-40GB drives
        ECC RAM, low-cost from Crucial.com, others
        3 PCI slots
        2 IDE HDD maximum
        USB/Firewire ports that talk to Zip drives and some other USB
        500-550MHz SPARC IIe CPU (small cache)
        will work with SunPCi I, II, and III.
        PCI video/graphics cards only.
Sun Ultra/10s have:
        IDE CD-ROM/HDD unknown size limits, shipped with 9-20GB drives
        Sun RAM (more expensive, even 3rd party or used)
        4 PCI slots
        333-440MHz SPARC IIi CPU (larger cache)
        will work with SunPCi I and II
        one UPA Creator/Graphics slot, will use PCI graphics cards also.
Sun Ultra/30s have:
        Fast/wide SCSI CD-ROM/HDD (9, 18, 36, 72GB sizes)
        Sun RAM, X7000-series
        250-333MHz SPARC II? CPU
        2 UPA graphics slots
        no PCI.
Sun Ultra/5s have:
        same as Ultra/10 except no UPA slot.

For used systems, "bang for the buck" depends on what you are going to do
with the system.  For learning Solaris on SPARC, any of the above will do
in any configuration.  If you need power and expandability, go for a newer
Blade.  The PCI graphics will work with most monitors: default resolution
is 1152x900, but the card can be set to 1024x768x?? or 1280x1024x60/76.
With the UPA/Creator series, you either need a Sun monitor ($100-$300USD
used) or a 13W3-HD15 adapter (about $40USD) and compatible resolution
SVGA/XVGA monitor.

--
Larye D. Parkins
Information Engineering Services

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 zenarcade@xxxxxxx wrote:

> This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
> <http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=567&t=567>
>
> and I am a student. What I need is the best "bang for the buck" system.
>
> Anyone out there who can explain for me the difference between Sun Blade
> 100/150 and all the Ultra/Creator series out there.
>
> any advice would be highly appreciated !
>
> best regards
> Tom

> Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.3a <http://phorum.org>

---