[USS Suffolk] USS Suffolk: LT(jg) Callahan reporting

  • From: "Kimberly Huff" <khuff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Suffolk (E-mail)" <gibxfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Suffolk-backup (E-mail)" <suffolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"ASR (E-mail)" <starfleet-rpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:51:25 -0500

----
SB Delta, en route to USS Suffolk
MD: 53.0930
----

Pete looked out the spaceport to the repair docks. *So that's the
Suffolk,*he thought as he watched the repairs being made to the ship. To his
eye,
it looked almost ready to go out, but he wasn't out there climbing all over
the hull, so he didn't have the intimate view he would need for that
assessment. It was a beautiful ship, sleek and, Pete knew, fast. Capable of
sustaining a warp speed of 9.65 for up to 12 hours. Pete had heard of one
galaxy-class heavy cruiser that had held on to 9.65 for nearly 16 hours, but
that had been quite some time ago and the engineer had been pretty much
insane. *OPS, wow.* Pete still hadn't quite gotten used to his new position
yet. He'd sent a message to Captain James as soon as he had found out, he
was sure that Emory had recommended him for the post. Pete wondered idly
what his new CO would be like, as he made his way down to the ship.

----
USS Suffolk
MD: 53.1100
----

Pete had easily located his quarters, based on the information on the
PADD. Deck 6, where the senior officer's quarters were located. Not
taking the time to stow any of his stuff, Pete went to meet his new CO.
The turbolift was about halfway down the hall from his quarters, not far
at all, which was nice. Downloading schematics for the ship onto his
personal PADD would wait until after his meeting with Commander
Boulanger. As he stepped out of the turbolift he glanced around the
bridge and spotted the OPS console immediately.

Just to the left of the OPS console was the door to the Captain's ready
room. Pete thought for a moment, then decided that it was as good a time
as any to check in with his new CO. He strode over and tapped the door
chime. A few seconds later, the door silently slid open. He walked in,
unbidden, to about halfway between the door and two chairs, which were
facing the desk, as the Commander looked up. The Commander didn't look
much older than himself, and Pete briefly wondered how such a young man
had become a full Commander.

Just then, Christophe rose, and gestured at one of the chairs. "I'm
Commander Christophe Boulanger. Please have a seat. Would you like a
drink?" he asked, with a detectable, but slight, French accent.

Pete raised his eyebrows at the odd greeting - the Captain was treating
him more as a guest than as a subordinate officer. Still, he took the
seat, but waved off the drink. The Commander shrugged and got himself a
chocolate milk, before returning to his seat. He smiled. "You must be
Lieutenant Callahan, our new Ops officer."

Pete nodded while Christophe continued, " I'm sure you are curious about our
current assignment, Lieutenant Callahan." He paused briefly for Pete's nod
and continued. "We're assigned to the Gibraltar Expeditionary Force, out at
Starbase Gibraltar. The starbase has a wormhole next to it, it comes out on
the far side of Klingon territory."

Pete whistled slightly under his breath. Commander Boulanger smiled,
"Exactly. It is quite a distance. It's pretty much unexplored territory, but
that's what we're here for. I'm not sure what we'll find, but the starship
Europa is stationed just past the Gibraltar wormhole monitoring a group of
mapping probes they launched three days ago. It's a twelve day trip, so we
should have lots of good information from the Europa before we get there."

The CO took a long pull at his chocolate milk and then asked, "Do you have
any questions, Lieutenant?"

"Do you expect any trouble from the Klingons, sir?"

"Not really. They have been too preoccupied with their own internal
struggles to try much colonizing, I believe. We may run into the odd ship,
of course, but I don't expect them to see us as impinging on their claims.
Of course, they are Klingons."

Pete nodded, Boulanger had gotten right to the heart of his question.

"One last question, sir."

"Yes?"

"Are the holodecks operational?"

The CO looked quizzically at his new OPS, but replied evenly, "Yes, actually
they are. And with such a long trip ahead of us, I imagine they'll book up
quickly."

"Thank you, sir. I can't think of anything else, then."

Boulanger nodded. "'Com me if you do, Lieutenant. Dismissed."

Pete headed back to his quarters, a little spring in his step. He was
excited about the mission, his prospects about the Suffolk and what lie
ahead.

Respectfully submitted in a joint post by:

Kim Huff
LT(jg) Peter Callahan, OPS

and

Charles Jencks