[USS Suffolk] USS Suffolk: Captain meets Navigator

  • From: whitestar77 <whitestar77@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gibxfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, suffolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,starfleet-rpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:04:46 -0800

----
USS Suffolk, Bridge
MD 52.0900
----

Roland looked up from what would soon be his station at NAV and noticed
the
traffic of people flying around outside on the viewscreen.  After
meeting
Bronn and Ensign Usagi (not to mention her four friends outside who were

waiting patiently for her to join them for breakfast), Roland had picked
up
his stuff from his room and made his way to the Suffolk.  He passed the
Security guard (with slight trepidation, which Docker noticed came
naturally
when meeting Security types) and made his way on board.  He checked out
where his room would be located and dropped off his things.

The next few minutes found him walking the corridors, almost in awe,
looking
in at the various compartments, on his way to the bridge.  Once there,
he had
made his way down to the Navigator's station and gotten himself
familiarized
with the controls, readouts, displays, and other whatnots on his
console.
Passing his fingers over the controls put Roland in a sense of ease and
comfort, almost like coming home.  He had loved the power of controlling
ship during his short stint at the Academy, which got him top marks as a

pilot.  Roland looked at the console once again and smiled.  He might
actually like this job, although it still confounded him as to why he
was
suddenly re-enlisted and placed here.  Always wary of another setup,
Docker
kept a low profile and stayed out of trouble.  Looks like he'd have to
do
that here also, at least until he'd made some friends that he can trust
on
this ship.

"Oh well, better not delay the inevitable."  Roland whispered to
himself, as
he got up from his (soon to be) station.  He crossed the room to the
Captain's ready room and depressed the signal, letting the Captain know
that
he was there.

The doors slid open, and behind them lay a rather unlikely sight. The
Captain was huddled over his desk, with a surgeon's worth of small tools
laid out beside him, working on what appeared to be an old mechanical
clock. "Please, come in." he said, with a touch of a French accent.

Roland came in, and leaned on the back of one of the two chairs facing
the desk. "Why not just use a digital clock?"

Commander Boulanger looked up, and Roland noticed that he looked very
young to be the Captain of a starship - younger than himself, even.
"Less tangible. Although I do prefer a digital most of the time myself."
He pulled up his sleeve slightly, revealing a digital wrist-worn
chronometer. "A souvenir from my days with Temporal Division. Please,
have a seat."

Roland shrugged, and came around the chair, sitting down after another
look at the dismantled clock parts on the desk. "I take it you're
Commander Boulanger?"

"I am." He checked the computer on his desk - obviously some file having
to do with the newly arriving officers. "You must be Ensign Roland
Docker, our new navigation officer."

"Yes, sir."

"Glad to have you then. I was posted as a navigator right out of the
Academy, but my heart just wasn't in it, and I got myself transferred to
Engineering as soon as I could. It is a challenging job, though.
Especially where we're going."

"Which is... where, sir?"

"We're assigned to the Gibraltar Expeditionary Force, out at Starbase
Gibraltar. There's a wormhole next to it, comes out somewhere past the
far side of Klingon territory. We're assigned to explorations of the
region beyond the wormhole. Plenty of challenges for you, I'm sure, as
it's mostly uncharted space."

That explained a lot to Docker; perhaps they'd wanted him here as a
scapegoat if the ship got sucked into a black hole or whatnot. "It does
sound like a challenge, sir."

"I hope you're up to it. I know you've been... out of circulation for a
few years. Don't be afraid to lean on your support staff a bit; they're
mostly experienced, and all well-trained. And flying a starship hasn't
changed that much since you were in the Academy, I'm sure."

"If that's all, sir, I should be getting back to familiarizing myself
with the ship."

Christophe nodded. "Dismissed."

--------------------------------
NRPG: JP arrival post by Jeff and myself. (including more CD on our
Captain.)

Kim - if you want to JP your arrival, go ahead and shoot me a draft;
otherwise, write it up to Cmdr Boulanger's door and I'll grab it from
there. Same for Amy, Laura, and Rodney. Everyone else's arrivals are
taken care of already.

All - please note the addresses this is being sent to; please use same
for all RP posts this week. (Yahoo will be our main 'archive' and in
constant use, with Freelists as the backup for when it's down - but we
know it'll be down this weekend, so go ahead and use both for the next
few days.)

- a JP by
Charles Jencks
Cmdr Christophe A. Boulanger, commanding USS Suffolk
and
Jeff Uribe
Ens Roland Docker, NAV, USS Suffolk