[USS Suffolk] USS Suffolk: Captain meets MCO, and more on the Europa

  • From: whitestar77 <whitestar77@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gibxfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, suffolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,starfleet-rpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:29:29 -0800

----
USS Suffolk, MCO's Quarters
MD 53.1330
----

Malric was done stowing his gear and reviewing the SFMC manifest. He had

recently returned from Sickbay after a 'quick check up' and was in
perfect
health. Then his comm came on.

[LT Landry, this is the Bridge. CDR Boulanger is free now and in his
ready
room.]

"Very good, I am on my way."

Malric took one quick look in the mirror to make sure his uniform looked

properly and walked out of his quarters towards the lift. He got funny
looks
by some of the people he passed on his way to the elevator. Malric was
used
to it by now. He entered the lift. "Bridge." The ride to the bridge was
short, but it seemed very long to Malric. The door hissed open and
Malric
walked onto the bridge. Malric knew where the Ready Room was and headed
for
it. He stopped at the door and hit the buzzer.

The doors swished open, and he heard a voice from off to the left of the
door. "Entrez-vous, s'il vous plait."

Malric didn't quite recognize the language, but the first word sounded
like 'enter', so he did. He saw a copy of 'Lord of the Rings' sitting on
a couch to his right, a bookmark in one of the early chapters; a desk in
front of him; and to his left, a replicator and a blind corner that
probably contained a restroom. Emerging from that blind corner was a
young human in a Commander's red uniform. Malric assumed this was
Commander Boulanger, and pulled up into an old-fashioned military
salute. "First Lieutenant Malric Landry, reporting for orders, sir."

"Commander Christophe Boulanger. Please, have a seat, before you strain
something." The Commander grinned, and waved at the replicator. "Would
you like a drink?"

"No, sir." Malric said, in a very clipped tone, while taking his seat.
"I would like to get down to business, sir."

"Alright." The Commander replicated up a cup of Earl Grey tea, with
sugar, and brought it to his desk. "As I'm sure you're aware, the
Suffolk is currently having its deflector dish replaced; hopefully that
will be finished within the next day or so. We're assigned to Starbase
Gibraltar, and will be departing for there shortly after our repairs are
complete. Our mission hasn't yet been assigned, but it will likely be an
exploration mission of the uncharted region beyond the wormhole adjacent
to the Starbase."

Malric simply nodded, and the Commander continued. "During the last
major expedition through the wormhole, this ship was boarded and almost
fell into enemy hands. Part of your job will be to get your troops
trained in onboard combat enough to prevent that from happening again.
The other part, of course, will be providing support for away teams that
run into hostile forces, and so you'll need to train in ground combat as
well." It was really only then that Christophe looked at Landry, and he
shrunk back from it ever so slightly. "You are probably concerned about
the reaction the other officers on this ship might have to your
heritage. I assure you that I will never treat you in a manner other
than one that your Starfleet training has earned you, and I will not
tolerate intolerance on my ship. If you have any problems, feel free to
bring them to me. Any questions?"

"No, sir."

"Then you're free to get back to work. The remainder of your Marines
will be arriving in the morning, I believe. We're already getting their
quarters ready. Good day, Lieutenant." he added, as Landry rose from his
chair and made his way out.

----
USS Europa, Bridge
Far side of Gibraltar Wormhole
MD 53.1335
----

"Commander von Freiburg?"

"What is it, Lieutenant?"

"Our replacement probe on 165 mark 1 has stopped transmitting." Lt.
MacTavish reported, a frown on his face. "I'm going over the last few
moments of logs now, but it appears that it was pulled off course by an
unusually strong gravity well and... was crushed."

"By the gravity?"

"No, sir. It appears it was crushed by an impact with a stationary body,
perhaps an asteroid or planet. Certainly it was in space, as the logs
don't show more than trace amounts of atmospheric gases or resistance."

"Must be bad luck then, we just happened to hit something on the way in.
Helm, bring us back to 165 mark 1, keep engines at stationkeeping.
Science, prepare another class-four probe for launch."

NRPG: Just taking care of Rodney's arrival and the next piece of the
Europa storyline.

- a JP by
Charles Jencks
Cmdr Christophe Boulanger, CO, USS Suffolk
and
Rodney Paris
1Lt Malric Landry, MCO, USS Suffolk