[sotd] June 18, 2004 [Optical Illusions & Visual Phenomena]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:48:03 -0300

        Site of the Day for Friday, June 18, 2004

        Optical Illusions & Visual Phenomena

Today's site by Michael Bach offers some amazing visuals which illustrate a
vast array of optical illusions. Gentle Subscribers will discover many
surprising elements in this fascinating visual presentation.

"These pages demonstrate some visual phenomena, generally called optical
illusions, less often visual illusions - the latter more appropriate IMHO.
I'm stressing here relative novelty and interactivity. Whenever I find the
time, I will expand the explanations, to the degree that these phenomena
are really understood. ... I view these phenomena as bringing out
particular good adaptations to standard viewing situations. These
adaptations are "hard-wired" into our brains, thus under some artificial
manipulations they cause inappropriate interpretations of the visual
scene.... Note: most of the demonstrations require the free players for
Apple's Quicktime (4 or higher) and Macromedia's Flash (6 or higher), both
available for several platforms." - from the website

The site features visual illusions under various categories such as Motion
and Time, Luminance and Contrast, Colour, Geometric and Angle Illusions,
Size Constancy and Cognitive / Gestalt Effects. Despite the technical
language used for the titles of each "illusion", the spell-binding examples
are riveting. Excellent, lucid explanations are provided for each example.

Hop over to the site for some startling visual illusions at:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/index.html

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>