[sotd] Budget Bytes [January 5, 2010]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:05:31 -0400

        Site of the Day for Tuesday, January 5, 2010

        Budget Bytes

Today's site, from "a food lover and a number cruncher" offers a practical
perspective on good food, with a focus on frugality. Gentle Subscribers,
looking to
balance the budget after a bit of holiday excess, may find the tasty but thrifty
dishes presented, a welcome approach to the often thorny issue of economizing on
food.

"There are two things that I will readily admit to: I am broke and I love to
eat.
.. I'm not 'cheap' because I do appreciate quality; I just like to be able to
have my cake, eat it, AND pay my bills on time. ... I don't believe that eating
for
pennies a day has to mean eating Ramen Noodles 100 different ways. In response
to a
recent financial crisis of my own, I have begun to run cost analysis on all of
my
favorite recipes. The results have surprised even me. In this blog I will post
recipes along with their cost analysis, prep time, pictures and alternate
preparations." - from the website

This pleasantly designed blog serves up not only the essential recipe
instructions
but generally includes a chatty introduction that lends a neighborly,
over-the-garden-fence appeal to the presentation. With an appetizing photograph
of
the prepared food and a breakdown of its cost  -- by complete dish and
individual
serving -- the site also employs a helpful tagging system by keyword, such as
easy,
main dish, and eggs, among many others, to make finding suitable recipes a
snap. A
unique feature of this cooking blog is its detailed cost breakdown of each
recipe
ingredient, frequently accompanied by suggestions on how to economize even
further,
while penny-wise visitors often add valuable comments on how a recipe worked in
their own kitchens.

Nip over to the blog for a cheap and cheerful collection of recipes at:

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>