[sotd] A Moment of Science [January 6, 2010]

  • From: "Site of the Day" <amholm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:27:30 -0400

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, January 6, 2010

        A Moment of Science

Today's site, from Indiana University, Bloomington, offers a fascinating
smorgasbord of scientific topics of broad general interest, especially geared
for
the non-scientific general public. Gentle Subscribers will find many answers of
the
"I didn't know that," variety that were sadly missing in most of the science
classes they struggled to stay awake through.

"You have questions and A Moment of Science has answers. Short science videos
and
audio science podcasts provide the scientific story behind some of life's most
perplexing mysteries. ... We've all hit our 'funny bone.' Why does it feel like
that? What do bicycles, footballs, and space shuttles have in common? Can you
really learn while you are asleep? Why do some birds hop and others walk?
..There's no need to be blinded by science. Explore it, have fun with it, but
most of all learn from it." - from the website

The site presents a compilation of the two minute podcasts delivered through the
university's affiliated National Public Radio station, from contributions of
scientists around the world. For those who prefer a straightforward text
version, a
transcript of each podcast has been made available. Archives at the site,
stretching back to 2003, are browsable by year and month, and feature riveting
topics, among which are such queries as why stomachs rumble when empty, why
lightning has a jagged shape and why dogs wolf their food. In addition, a select
collection of video clips has also been provided.

Nip over to the site for the answers to the most intriguing science questions
at:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>