[slackintosh-users] Re: New User - help pls

  • From: Craig Cooper <craig.cooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:37:59 +1000

> Is this a G3 or G4 iBook?  Mostly I'm curious because I may repurpose my
> iBook G4, which currently dual-boots Slackintosh and OS X (but is mostly
> in OS X) to a mostly Slackintosh machine.  It'd be nice not to have to
> worry about waiting for 13.x to have everything working fairly smoothly.

This is a G3 (2004?) iBook. I purchased it recently out of the paper
for 1/30th the original retail price.

> Unlike the new MacBooks, these are still replaceable.  If you're going
> to use it for any length of time, you can get a new one for ~$100 US.  I
> bought this one:
>
> http://www.newertech.com/products/ibookg412_batt.php

Yes, looks like I will get this one -
http://www.epowermac.com.au/shop/pc/iBook-Battery-White-G3-G4-Laptop-14-628p456.htm

it is a 5000mAh.

> If it's just on the wired ethernet, just make the needed modifications
> to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf.  Look at the section marked "config for
> eth0".  Don't forget to modify GATEWAY too, which is IIRC below the
> eth3 config section.

Many thanks. Any word on what the available packages are like? will I
find VLC or mplayer?

ArchlinuxPPC (ArchPPC) looks pretty dead at the moment, but they have
a load of great packages available.

Will have this machine online in 2 days!

Cheers.

themacmeister