[slackintosh-users] Re: New User - help pls

  • From: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:25:16 -0800

Hi Craig,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 01:28:24PM +1000, Craig Cooper wrote:

> I just got Slackintosh 12.1 installed on a 14" iBook 600MHz, 384MB
> RAM.

Is this a G3 or G4 iBook?  Mostly I'm curious because I may repurpose my
iBook G4, which currently dual-boots Slackintosh and OS X (but is mostly
in OS X) to a mostly Slackintosh machine.  It'd be nice not to have to
worry about waiting for 13.x to have everything working fairly smoothly.

> The battery is shot, only 2min charge held at full (haha),

Unlike the new MacBooks, these are still replaceable.  If you're going
to use it for any length of time, you can get a new one for ~$100 US.  I
bought this one:

http://www.newertech.com/products/ibookg412_batt.php

The 5000mAh is really nice.  :)

> This old computer is just a hobby at the moment, and is not online. I
> am going to connect it to the internet in a few days, and I was
> wondering if those more experienced in Slackintosh could give me some
> pointers on how to set up manual internet connection (my router/dns
> address is 10.0.0.138, and my manual IP is 10.0.0.1 (configured at the
> router with necessary ports forwarded).

If it's just on the wired ethernet, just make the needed modifications
to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf.  Look at the section marked "config for
eth0".  Don't forget to modify GATEWAY too, which is IIRC below the
eth3 config section.

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx