[SI-LIST] Re: via teardropping effect on signal integrity?

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pat_Diao@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:10:22 -0700

Pat,

Risetime and bit rate are often not related at all. If the package
electrical length is greater than 1/10 of the signal risetime, then you
will see a signal disturbance with a mismatched package.  Whether it is
an issue with your customer's signalling standard is their decision.

I've done designs even at extremely low frequencies (10 MHz) where
impedance matching was important for extremely long traces (>30 inches)
when low insertion and return loss were needed for analog applications.

Besides, 100 ohm impedance control is a "gimmie" and not hard to do.

regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow