[SI-LIST] Re: testing LVPECL signal with 50ohm system

  • From: "Michael Poimboeuf" <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:34:52 -0700

FWIW I've found that using differential probes is the best way to check
LVPECL signals since they allow you to probe differential single-ended =
and=20
common-mode. I just bring the signals to .1" testpads (which can be
probed directly with a diff probe or can take a header).=20

Although you can cook up a quasi single ended method of testing, it
often won't allow you to see characteristics of the signal which affect
performance in the product you're testing.=20

For instance, on one board I worked on the "LVPECL" levels out of an
fpga didn't meet common mode or single ended requirements while they
did meet differential. I had to use a wider CM range follower to restore
them in one case and external TTL->LVPECL converters in another case.

This is one reason that I've found little use for vendor's evalation =
boards
that screw with the Vcc/Vee rails to kludge the boards for single ended
testing.

---
mkp=20