[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V4 #261

  • From: Geoff Stokes <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:23:45 +0100

I think this is helpful but might not be a complete discussion.  It seems to
assume that the wave modes on the connecting copper microstrips or
striplines are well-characterised.  The de-embedding normally uses the
simplest wave mode.  This will often not be representative, particularly in
a dense board layout situation.  I'm not exactly sure how to address it, but
I have noticed that the current flow around the via is quite complicated.
The impedance is quite sensitive to via position.  Ideally, rather than a
single via, the vias should be closely repeated in a region.  In some RF
applications, to get much lower effective inductance on a ground connection,
instead of a row of vias, the board is milled with a slot before plating.
Again, the positioning of the slot will be critical.

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world

EID Award Winners for  'Best Use of Technology' 2003 for the=20
AcoustarTM ZXCW8100 End-to-End Digital Audio Amplifier Controller

http://www.zetex.com

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference. You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they=20
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: