[SI-LIST] Re: power plane spacing

  • From: e <evillaf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:10:37 -0700

Steve,

Please see my response below:

"S. Weir" wrote:

> Ellis,
>
> I guess Dorin should reply, but I don't think his question was about
> vertical spacing,

I didn't think it was,  I did not mean to imply it, and if I did,  I apologize,
should be more clear.  I will work on it.

Ellis

> it was how wide to make the gap between the islands on
> the split plane layer.  The concern was that a wide gap would lead to an
> EMI problem, whereas a small gap would couple noise from one plane to the
> other along the edges.

This is my understanding also.

Ellis

> An integration of the capacitance along the edge shows that it is very very
> small compared to the plane capacitance, unless the islands are very long
> and very narrow, ie traces.  Consequently, the plane to ground impedance of
> each plane is much lower than the split plane to split plane
> capacitance.   Let me put it another way, the best coupling we can
> typically get on a differential pair is 10-15%.  Two adjacent plane islands
> will have orders of magnitude weaker coupling.

I believe this is what I stated, though in more simple terms and with much less
detail.  Nonetheless, the point is the same.  I just imagined the 'noise'
looking
across at the edge of the adjacent plane, and then down at the ground. There is
just so much more 'visible' area to ground, and with typical FR-4 power/ground
spacing of 3-5 mil, the ground is also much closer => much more capacitance =>
much less impedance.  Of course, integration works, too.  No doubt it would have
been beneficial to work the math, but this is a good first step (in the right
direction I hope), and at originally I thought it was enough to convey the idea
without cluterring it with (necessary) details.

I would have liked to get feedback from you on the stackup I proposed.  If there
is anything lacking about it I would like to know what it is (they are) before I
use this stackup in my next project.  I don't remember anything that was ever
proposed in this group that was not criticized -- and I think that is a good
thing.

One thing that was not addressed here is crosstalk.  While shielding may reduce
EMI problems, it does nothing to prevent signal integrity degradation to nearby
signals within the shields,  due to the radiating fields that were causing the
EMI
problems.

Regards,
Ellis