[SI-LIST] Re: power plane spacing

  • From: "Ye, Xiaoning" <xiaoning.ye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:58:16 -0700

Smaller power/ground plane spacing is beneficial for EMI. Actually, the
raidate EMI (resulting from the fringing field of power-bus structure) is
approximately proportional to this spacing (which corresponds well with
microstrip antenna theory). Results of measurements and simulations both
support this conclusion.

Here are two references:

"An investigation of PCB radiated emissions from simultaneous switching
noise" 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, ,
Volume: 2 , 1999 Page(s): 893 -898 vol.2
"The EMI benefits of ground plane stitching in multi-layer power bus stacks"
IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2000.,
Volume: 2 , 2000 Page(s): 833 -838 vol.2

---Xiaoning

Xiaoning Ye
Intel Enterprise Architecture Labs (EAL)