[SI-LIST] Re: pci driver strength

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:00:12 -0400

Ivor,

This is kind of related to the another question I raised about buffer driver
strengths in general.

How does one describe a buffer's drive strength? I believe the only answer
is with it's source impedance. This can be derived from a transmission line
by measuring the porch voltage of the signal as it is launched onto the
t-line (since you know the porch voltage level, Vdd, and the impedance of
the t-line, you can solve for the source impedance).

So to answer your question : you're right, there is no reflection level
requirement. But there is a VI curve requirement that source impedance can
be derived from (Zs should be the slope of the curve). If you look at the VI
curves in the spec it shows a shaded area where the drive strength (or
source Z) can be in.

You can then compare it to your measurements from your spice sim's. (Spice
sim should include a long t-line of a known value. Measure the initial
voltage launched onto the t-line (sometimes referred to as the porch
voltage)and solve for Zsource.

regards,
Jim