[SI-LIST] Re: lumped model vs distributed model

  • From: "Abe Riazi" <ARIAZI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:42:16 -0800

Steve:

Indeed, theoretical transmission line derivations and modeling frequently
employ transverse electromagnetic (TEM) assumption.  Fortunately, TEM
mode is regarded sufficient estimate for  transmission line propagation
up to  high frequencies.

I find it difficult to accept that a transmission line model consisting of
a large number of cascaded RLCG segments can be a good representation
only at low frequencies.  The following relationship adapted from
S. H. Hall, et al., Page 16 and discussed in my previous post leads to
different conclusions :

     Segments >=  10 * x / (Tr * v)

The required number of RLCG segments varies directly with transmission line
length and inversely with Tr . Therefore, modeling a long fast edge rate
(wide
bandwidth) line can demand multiple RLCG stages; whereas, a single  RLCG
lump model appears suitable only for a line exhibiting short  electrical
length.

A question:

Do you think above conclusions are valid for low frequency lossless (ideal)
case, and break down for high frequency lossy (real) lines?

Thank you.

Abe