[SI-LIST] Re: local and global ground

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:34:28 -0800 (PST)

Greg-

I haven't run your spice deck, but by just visually
inspecting your connections I notice that
you have 2 different grounds (gnd, gnd3) defined
in your model while in the real world those
ground locations are actually at 4 physical locations
(input to the first tline, input to the connector,
output from the connector, output of the second tline).
It seems to me that you are forcing some rather strange
conditions by forcing multiple locations to 'gnd' while
referencing the output of the connector to 'gnd3'.

Your 'gnd' grounds are in essence spice node 0. Noise measurements
are made relative to a "local" ground very near to the point of noise
measurement. Measuring things relative to a global ground can
lead to interesting but not real measurements.

I think that you probe statements by default, measure values
relative to node 0 or global ground. You need to arrange things
to measure the noise voltage differentially relative to a local
ground.

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems

List archives are viewable at: